What to Expect After You Apply For Assistance Through FEMA
at disasterassistance.gov or the FEMA app
- After registering for disaster assistance, you may be contacted by a FEMA-contracted housing inspector to schedule an appointment for a housing inspection.
- An inspector may call or text you to make an appointment for the inspection, and may use an area code different from yours.
- When a housing inspector comes to visit your home, ask to see a FEMA photo ID badge. If you are not shown photo identification, do not allow the inspection. If you suspect fraud, call local law enforcement.
- All FEMA-contracted housing inspectors will be able to identify you by the unique nine-digit number you were assigned when you applied for federal assistance. FEMA inspectors will never ask for this information. They already have it in their records. If you are unsure the inspector is with FEMA, call 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) to confirm.
- There is never a fee for the inspection.